Fan-Lit: Jules Verne and Science Fiction.

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Monday, November 7, 2016

Jules Verne and Science Fiction.

So the next review is going to be "An Express of the Future" by Jules Verne. You can read the story here Read An Express of the Future . I would just like to talk a little bit about Jules Verne and science fiction stories in general.

Jules Verne is one of my favorite science fiction authors. As a former Geology major, I really love the book Journey to the Center of the Earth. While it might not be scientifically sound, it is a great "what if" story. Verne's style is not about the science fiction that changes this world, but rather to explore the world and find the science in it. What I really like about the short story An Express of the Future is that is not a big science fiction plot. It's small and simple about an underwater train that travels across the Atlantic ocean. There is even a real world comparison with the tunnels that go under the English Channel, connecting the UK to the rest of Europe. Obviously, there are differences between a short tunnel and one that would cross the entire Atlantic, but it is a fantasy that we can all dream of. That's what I like about Verne's writing, using science fiction to explore our fantasies. Since Verne wrote in the 1800's the technology and information available were limited, so there is an element of the Steampunk style to his works.

Science fiction is a big genre and basically means anything that is based on science that is either impossible or highly unlikely (at least in the time it is written). I think when Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, submarine ships were either not invented or not developed for deep seas exploration. So at the time the Nautilus was looked at as science fiction. Whereas some science fiction writers focused on robots, monsters or aliens, Verne focused on taking a journey in the world exploring science and making discoveries. There is always an element of optimism and wonder in the stories. Unlike H.G. Wells who writes stories that explore the dark sides of science fiction. While both men are considered among the great science fiction writers of all time, I tend to prefer the adventurous and lighter stories of Verne.

Last week I wrote a review of "Robbie" by Isaac Asimov, who is also considered to be a great writer of science fiction along with Philip K. Dick and H.P. Lovecraft. I have not read much of these three authors. When I get the chance to read more of their works I will add them to my science fiction list of reviews. If anyone has an recommendations by these authors or other science fiction authors please let me know.

You can follow me on Twitter and Instagram @BelleArboreus and @fantastic_literature Go ahead and read An Express of the Future and come back on Thursday for the review!

No comments:

Post a Comment