Fan-Lit: Print vs. Digital

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Print vs. Digital

 Print books vs. digital

For a while, I was against reading books digitally or listening to audiobooks. But because textbooks were often cheaper in e-book form, I began to get used to reading books on my tablet. I read all of “Catching Fire” by Suzanne Collins on my sister’s Barnes and Noble Nook e-reader. I love that book; it was such a page-turner. Or screen swiper? Either way, it still took a while to read the digital forms of a book. There’s just something tangible about holding a hardcover or paperback in hand. However, with limited time to read and the increasing volume of books I want to read, I have had to turn to e-books and audiobooks. 



Running this blog means that I need to read a lot of books and short stories. As a slow reader, that means I don’t have time to read a physical book all the time. I go for a two or three-mile walk in the mornings, and instead of listening to music, I listen to an audiobook. This allows me to read more books than I would typically do with a paperback. When traveling or sitting in a waiting room, carrying an e-reader is more accessible than a big book. So, I bought myself a Kindle Paperwhite. You can also download the Kindle app on your phone (which I do have). The benefit of this is that Kindle is integrated with Audible, meaning that I can have my audiobooks and e-books in one library on my Kindle. These digital forms of books make reading more accessible on the go and easier to find books to read. This means I can listen to one book on my walks, read another book from my Kindle before bed, and read a physical book throughout the day (usually my book of short stories). I might not finish each book as soon as possible, but it makes it easier to consume new books.

Now, while I was against digital books at first, I’ve completely changed my mind. However, there may be reasons as to why certain people prefer a different medium for reading books. There are a few benefits for readers to read in print form. In 2019, 37% of Americans said they read only print books, while 28% read digital and printed books. “Just 7% of Americans say they only read books in digital formats and have not read any print books in the past 12 months” (Perrin, 2019). 


Some people enjoy a physical collection to display on a bookcase. A quick visual representation of all the books they have read or plan to read. I love looking at my bookshelf and knowing what I have or haven’t read without needing to remember what’s in my Kindle library. A physical copy also helps to keep track of your progress visually. “If you’re reading, it’s pretty easy to go back and find the point at which you zoned out” (Heid, 2018). That’s what a bookmark is for, and while digital books use a “bookmark,” there’s something special about having a personal bookmark to hold your place. It’s a little harder to go back and find your home in an audiobook, significantly if you’ve fallen asleep listening to it (as I’ve done a few times).

Some studies have shown that print also allows for better absorption of the material read. “The fact that printed text is anchored to a specific location on a page also seems to help people remember it better than screen-based text, according to more research on the spatial attributes of traditional printed media” (Heid, 2018). Meaning you’re more likely to remember what you’ve read in printed form because you have a physical place and location to anchor the memory. Whereas, “digital screens, audiobooks deny users the spatial cues they would use while reading from the printed text” (Heid, 2018). 

All of this reminds me of a quote from my favorite television show, “Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.” In episode eight's first episode, “I Robot...You Jane”, the librarian Giles is less than enthusiastic about digitizing books into the computer. He gives a speech to the computer science teacher Ms. Calendar about why he loves books. 

He says:

“Books smell – musty and rich. Knowledge gained from a computer has no texture, no context. It’s there, and then it’s gone. If it’s to last, the getting of knowledge should be tangible. It should be smelly.” (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 1997). 

It’s a great quote by Giles and goes to the point that the physicality of a book, smell, texture, flipping a page cannot be replicated in digital forms. Now, some people may not miss the smell of a new book or flipping the pages and using bookmarks, but that is how a lot of people consume books. 

Over the years, there has been an increase of Americans listening to audiobooks, from 14% to 20% (Perrin, 2019). The benefit of audiobooks is that they can fit into your lifestyle easier than carrying around a book. Commuters can finish a book in a week, just driving. Or if you’re like me, you can listen to a book while you’re working out. Sometimes I’ll even listen while I’m playing video games. Audiobooks are just easier to consume, even if you’re not absorbing everything. Often, it is easier for college students to purchase the digital e-book because it is cheaper, you don’t have to store it, and when the class is over, you don’t have to re-sell. 

As print format scales back, digital comes to the forefront; however, the print might never entirely disappear. “Print books remain the most popular format for reading, with 65% of adults saying they had read a print book” in the last year (Perrin, 2019). So, while I started thinking that print media was far superior, I believe now the future of reading is a hybrid. The more options people have to read, the more likely they will consume books. I love listening to my audiobooks, reading from my Kindle, and having my physical book collection. It allows me more time to read and adapt to my reading situation. 

So, what do you think about digital vs. print books? Are you like me and using a hybrid of reading, or are your firm both physical and digital? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section or on social media. Thank you for reading the blog!


If you like to read stories on WattPad, then you're in luck! Because I have recently posted some short stories on WattPad! Get ready for Halloween by reading my spooky/thriller inspired stories!

"Grave Little Witches"

"Through the Blackout"


Or check out my Halloween themed children's book "Who Scared Jack?" You can buy it on Amazon here.


Works Cited

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Episode: "I Robot...You Jane". Performance by Anthony Head, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, 1997.

Heid, Markham. “Are Audiobooks As Good For You As Reading? Here's What Experts Say.” Time, Time Magazine, 6 Sept. 2018, time.com/5388681/audiobooks-reading-books/.

Perrin, Andrew. “One-in-five Americans now listen to audiobooks”. Pew Research Center, 2019. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks/


No comments:

Post a Comment