Fan-Lit: Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Friday, December 10, 2021

Review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

 Review of “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” by J.K. Rowling

The movie version of “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” might be my second most watched Harry Potter film. So, I thought I knew what I would be getting out of the book. However, I soon realized that the book has so much more to offer than the movie does, several plot points and side stories had to be cut out of the movie. Which made it exciting for me to discover all of these elements when I read the book.

One thing that I like about the progression of these books, is that it recaps a lot of what has previously happened in the other books. Which means I don't have to remember everything that has happened in order to understand the next book. A big change from the books to movies, is the Dursely family. Here we get an opening with them meeting Mr. Weasley before Harry goes to the Quidditch World Cup. While they are terrible people, I enjoy the time we get to spend with them. They represent the “normalcy” of people among a world secretly filled with wizards. I love anytime Ron is fascinated by mogul things, like not using a fireplace for traveling or telephones.


One surprising thing we get in this book, is a whole subplot of Harry writing letters to Sirius Black, and then meeting Sirius in Hogsmeade. Sirius is then there at the end of the book. I enjoy his character and further developing his relationship with Harry. It's also fun to see how he lives life in the shadows and takes the form of a dog around people. I like that Sirius tries to help Harry with each task of the tournament.


Another character we get more of in the book is Cedric Diggery (as well as the other two competitors Crumb and LeFleur). The story sets Cedric up as a good-looking, popular jock that is a rival to Harry. However, over the course of the book we learn that he is actually kind, loyal and brave. It is a tragedy when he dies at the end after he is willing to share the glory of winning the Tri-Wizard Cup with Harry. Viktor Krumb is another character that the book serves well, we understand his life and his relationship with Hermione much more so than we do in the movie. We learn more about his school Durmstrang and it's headmaster. I find it interesting that no one knows where the Durmstrang school is located and that Malfoy almost went there. These added details in the books add to the wonder and fun of the wizarding world.


Speaking of the Tri-Wizard tournament, this book highlights the activities that the wizarding world participates in. up until now, we've only read about quidditch being played at Hogwarts, but in this movie we learn that Quidditch is a huge sport with various teams, and the best compete in the Quidditch World Cup. A great way to start the book, following up with the competition of the Tri-Wizard tournament. The opening also sets up the return of the Deatheaters, and explains who they are. A perfect introduction before they show up at the end of the story. The book also focuses more on Voldemort's return through Harry's scar visions.

Another change from the book to movie is the villain of Barty Crouch, jr. I love learning about his backstory, how he was set to Azkaban but faked his death and had to live under his father's control. It gives him more motivation for what he does. While the reader is not supposed to like Barty Crouch, jr. knowing his upbringing makes him a more complex character. Even though the character is played by the great David Tennant (who is wasted in this movie), Barty Crouch, Jr's motivation is severely lacking.

One of the more enjoyable side plots was Hermione's crusade for liberating the house elves. It fits perfectly with her character while allowing us to see a new side of the wizarding world. It was great to see the return of Doby and how he has been living since he was freed at the end of the second book. We also meet a new house elf Winky and learn that the meals at Hogwarts are prepared by house elves. It was an interesting choice for author J.K. Rowling to have most of the house elves want to be enslaved and not freed. Doby seems to be a unique house elf in that he wanted to be freed, but that's not how he seemed when we first met him in the second book. The treatment of the house elves is treated as a joke, that Hermione is not aware of, when I think in reality she is in the right.

One thing that I have loved from reading this series is that each book adds something new to the history and mythology of the wizarding world. Learning about the history of the Tri-Wizard Tournament was a great way to bring the audience into the darker side of magic. Which leads perfectly into the return of Lord Voldermort. While I love the lighter and the young adventurous nature of the first two books, I'm looking forward to reading the last three books dealing with Lord Voldermort.

Thank you for reading, and be sure to check back every week as I continue to dive into the wizarding world. Next up is “Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship, and Dangerous Hobbies.” So stay tuned to the blog for new posts every week until Christmas! Be sure to leave a comment or feedback to help improve the blog. Thanks for reading, and be sure to follow the blog on social media for all the updates.



Read my review of "Quidditch Through the Ages"

Read my review of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

Read my review of "The Tales of Beedle the Bard."

Read my review for Neil Gaiman's fairy tale "Troll Bridge."

Read my review of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" 






Check out some of my spooky/thriller-inspired stories on Wattpad.

"Grave Little Witches"

"Through the Blackout"


Twitter @BelleArboreus

Instagram @Fantastic_literature



No comments:

Post a Comment