Fan-Lit: Review of “Skyward” by Brandon Sanderson

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Thursday, April 18, 2024

Review of “Skyward” by Brandon Sanderson

Review of “Skyward” by Brandon Sanderson

If “Fourth Wing” is one of the best YA fantasy novels I’ve read recently, then “Skyward” is the best YA science fiction novel I’ve read since “The Hunger Games”. While my husband is a big fan of author Brandon Sanderson, I have been a bit hesitant to read his works. I tried “The Way of Kings” and gave up halfway through. Epics are not for me. While I did overall enjoy “The Final Empire” the first in the Mistborn series, I found similar issues with his writing that I did with “The Way of Kings”. I tend to find his writing style to be too long winded, drawn out and dry. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not for me. However, I’m pleased to say that I have found a book of his that I truly love.

“Skyward” is written with all the amazing worldbuilding and technicality that Sanderson is known for, but with a YA approach. The story focuses mainly on one character and follows her journey through flight academy. The story’s pacing flows well from scene to scene and there’s never a moment where it gets bogged down by inner monologues or exposition. The story takes place on a planet called Detritus where humans live deep underground because the atmosphere is covered in a layer of debris from old space stations. The flight academy is on the surface and the pilot fight an alien race known as the Krell.

One thing I like about this book is the story is not about the sci-fi aspects but rather about a girl, Spensa, trying to redeem her family name after her father was labeled a coward in battle when she was a little girl. There is also an interesting mystery about what really happened to her father, and it all becomes clear at the end.

Unlike most YA stories, Sanderson manages to resist the urge to give Spensa a love interest. While there is some tension between her and her flight leader Jorgen, it’s not some intense, semi-toxic, romance. It’s barely noticeable, but well developed. The dialogue is witty, and the characters have a good banter with each other.

Spensa is a fun, and brash character that makes for a good lead. I really enjoy the supporting characters as well, such as her flight instructor Cobb and her classmates, Jorgen and Kimmalyn. Each of their personalities are different and yet they all work well as an ensemble. One of the few criticisms that I have of the book, is that we don’t get to know Spensa’s mother and grandmother, as well as life in the underground caverns.

Overall, I really love this book, it’s got interesting characters, a cool sci-fi world and an interesting story about human’s vs aliens and intergalactic travel. I’m looking forward to continue reading this series.


If you like science fiction stories, check out my book, "The Chimera Prophecies and Other Short Stories". 

https://www.amazon.com/Chimera-Prophecies.../dp/B0C4QX4RZW/

"The Chimera Prophecies" consists of eight short science fiction/dark fantasy short stories. Themes of how reality and identity shape our journey and humanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment