Fan-Lit: Review of “ReDawn” novella by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Monday, June 17, 2024

Review of “ReDawn” novella by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson

 Review of “ReDawn” Skyward Flight Novella #2 by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson

The second novella in the Skyward Flight series is just as good as the first. It follows the alien Alanik that we briefly met in the second book, “Starsight”, the one that Spensa pretends to be for the Superiorty. We also briefly met Alanik in “Sunreach”, and this story takes place right after that appearance. Alanik returns to her home world ReDawn and we find out her race is called the Urdail.

I love getting a story told from Alanik’s perspective. She is a strong and interesting character. I like how she doesn’t understand how awkward human teenagers act when it comes to talking about dating and relationships. “ReDawn” reunites Alanik with the characters from “Sunreach”, as she asks them to help her race fight off the Superiority. Alanik desperately wants to save her mentor and push out the rule of the Superiority on her home world. The novella does a better job at incorporating the political intrigue plot than “Starsight” did, because it feels more personal to Alaniks’ journey than it did with Spensa’s.

The story offers more information about cytonics and the various abilities that cytonics can possess. It is also refreshing to explore a new planet and society of a new alien race. I love seeing Alanik work with and befriend Jorgen, FM, Rigg and the rest of the crew.

I have thoroughly enjoyed these novellas because they expand the world of Skyward as well as the side characters. Alanik is a fantastic character and I would love to see more of her in the series. This story only makes me more excited to read the third book, “Cytonic”.



No comments:

Post a Comment