Fan-Lit: New Ideas for The Hunger Games Prequel Book

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Thursday, June 20, 2019

New Ideas for The Hunger Games Prequel Book


According to Lionsgate Studios and author Suzanne Collins, a new book set in the world of Panem will be coming out May of 2020. Following that release a movie or more, will be made based on the book. Here is the link to the news article, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/books/hunger-games-prequel.html



As a big fan of The Hunger Games franchise, I am super excited for this new book. It will be set 64 years prior to the first Hunger Games books. So, it will take place during the 10th Hunger Games, a part of the “Dark Days” period that was mentioned in the books. For years now I have been wanting a prequel to The Hunger Games that explores more of the society of Panem and how everything came about, leading up to the circumstances found in the trilogy.

Not knowing exactly what the story will be, here are some things that I would like to see show up in the book.

  1. The “Dark Days” - We've only heard about (briefly) what the dark days were, but I hope the book further explores what lead to the dark days and how the actual “hunger games” were formed.
  2. More districts – The second book and third books Catching Fire and Mockingjay gave readers a glimpse into some of the other districts outside of district 12. But there are still several districts that we no little about, so I hope the new book can provide more details about the other districts, and maybe even be set in a different district. Was district 12 always the poor district or at one point was it more equal, and at what point did things change? Questions that I've had for a while, let's see if they get answered.
  3. Old Characters – Now there are a couple of characters that we meet in the original trilogy that were old enough to be alive during the 10th hunger games. I, personally, would love to see a younger Mags. I love Mags from Catching Fire, and I believe Katniss says she is in her 80's meaning she would have been the right age for the reaping during the 10th games. Also, president Snow was in his 70's and would be a young boy during this time. It would be fan service sure, but maybe there could be a way to add in some familiar characters organically to the new story. Also, there is mention of Haymitch's mentor in the first book, but that he died years before. So, perhaps however Haymitch's mentor was, maybe he shows up in the new book. 
  4. The Capital – We get to spend some time in the Capital in the original trilogy, but not really with any of the people from the capital outside Katniss' prep team. It would be curious to see what the Capital was like, if it was different and how so, back during the 10th games.
  5. The Hunger Games – The description says that it takes place during the time of the 10th Hunger games, but not that it necessarily will be about the games. I would certainly like to see the evolution of the hunger games. What was the technology like back then, and were sponsors still a huge factor? Also, I believe that the “Careers tributes” were not yet a thing, so what was the actual competition like for the tributes? How has the spectacle of the event evolved? There's a lot that I would like to see in an old version of the actual games.


So, there's my list of the things that I want to see happened in the new prequel Hunger Games book. What are some of your theories, or ideas that you would like to see included? Leave a comment below or tweet me. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment