Fan-Lit: Spider-Man: Far From Home - Movie Review

Welcome Everyone!

Welcome Everyone!

Thanks for visiting my blog where I review books and stories. I am a published author and I have a Master's Degree in English and Creative Writing. Some of my favorite books are The Hunger Games series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, The Great Gatsby and The Joy Luck Club. I love to read and write short stories; as well as discuss writing and literature in any medium. Hope you enjoy and feel free to comment and make recommendations.



Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Movie Review

Spider-Man: Far From Home review



As a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe I was excited to see how Spiderman: Far From Home would deal with the aftermath of Avengers: Endgame. The movie does show how life in the MCU has continued since the end of Endgame but it doesn't linger on it for too long. Far From Home is a true sequel to Spiderman: Homecoming, focusing on Peter Parker and his classmates. While I think I prefer Homecoming, there are some great aspects of Far From Home. The first being that this is the first Spiderman movie where the primary story does not take place in New York City.

In the movie Spiderman battles creatures called Elementals which are made from water and fire. The special effects in this movie are amazing. The action scenes are great, but the overall plot of the movie falls a part if you think it about it afterwards. This includes the villain Mysterio, played by Jake Gyllenhaal. I did like Gyllenhaal's performance and his interactions with Tom Holland's Peter Parker were excellent.

As mentioned this movie does not take place in New York but rather, Venice, Prague and London, with a stop off in Berlin and the Netherlands. The fun of this movie is with Peter and his classmates traveling across Europe while encountering the Elementals. The last Spiderman movie (Homecoming) focused on Peter trying to be Spiderman, an Avenger level hero, and this new movie does the opposite. Peter just wants to be Peter, a normal teenage boy trying to ask out a girl he likes and having to be Spiderman gets in the way. It's a different take on the character that I find refreshing, but at the same time, I feel as if Spiderman the hero is not as impressive in this movie.




I would have to see the movie again to really see how I feel about this one. There's some great comedy, awesome action and brilliant character interactions but something is missing for me. While I love Holland in the role of Peter Parker, I don't think this is my favorite movie with his Spiderman in it (that goes to Infinity War). I will say that both of the end credit scenes were amazing and shocking. Hopefully they will have bigger implication going forward in the MCU. Still, if you enjoy this version of Spiderman, you will like Far From Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment